This post is to share my writing progress updates for the YA Buccaneers' Spring Writing Bootcamp:
- What did you do last week to work towards your goals?
- My goal was to get the structure reorganized on my YA contemporary novel AMELIA according to the guidelines my agent and I discussed.After struggling through this revision for a month, on Saturday I finally saw the light! The pacing and structure is much closer to what we are working toward. I also set a goal to write a synopsis with the changes to send to my agent while I clean up the draft for consistency issues and tweaks. I sent it to her Sunday night!
- How do you feel about your progress?
- I feel great! This revision was tough. Last time I worked on character development, removing a subplot, and developing new scenes. This time I had to cut the last half of the novel in half while expanding the middle. It was a bit complicated, but one of those things that just had to get messy before it got better.
- Any changes you'll be making this week?
- I'll be juggling two projects. A trusted reader is going through AMELIA for consistency and overall impressions. I may send to someone else, though I'm anxious to get the draft back to my agent. I also need to get a new excerpt to my critique group on my other project, my Nano 2013 novel, a YA contemporary SUNSET SUMMER.
- What are you excited to work on this week?
- Last month the critique group suggested I cut or restructure the chapter I sent, so it's not just a matter of pulling out a chapter and handing it over. I want to work on a beat sheet outline now to get the plot more structured, do some general brainstorming about the story. I also need to just get a chapter ready for them, so I will have to prioritize.
- Get reader fixes in AMELIA
- Read through AMELIA targeted on specifics (character dev, story flow, inconsistencies)
- Prep SUNSET SUMMER chapter for critique group
- Outline a beat sheet for SUNSET SUMMER overall plot* (save for last, time dependent)
Hope to hear from you on your writing goals this week!